[WriteLog] SO2R Controllers

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Sat Jan 25 15:52:51 EST 2003

Right Steve.

When you talk about SO2R 'controllers', you are really talking about several
unrelated things.

1) PTT switching.  All of the solutions take a PTT (usually foot switch for
phone) in, and route it to the currently active radio.

2) CW switching.  Again, all of the solutions take a key or keyer in, and
route it.

3) Mic switching.  I think that all of the solutions except the W5XD one
take a mono mic input, and route it per the above.  W5XD assumes that you
are using WL's built in mic switching where the mics for both radios are on
the stereo output of the sound card, so his keyer doesn't include mic
switching.

As far as I know, all of the available controller solutions do the 3 things
above by watching pin 14 of an LPT port.  All of the available loggers that
I know signal which radio is active by using that pin.

4) Headphone switching.  Here, there are several different modes that
operators prefer.  One radio in each ear.  One radio in each ear with some
blending.  Both radios in both ears (essentially #2, with full blending).
Active radio in both ears.  Active radio in both ears unless it is
transmitting a recorded message, during which time the inactive radio is in
both ears.  And on and on.  Here, there are lots of choices.

WL provides several of the above options under software control.  The W5XD
keyer supports that software control, and switches the audio around as the
software requests.  Other controllers provide manual controls to accomplish
similar things.

When it comes to isolation, etc. - the best reference IMHO is on the
Writelog web site at http://www.writelog.com/support/ssb_setup.htm .  I have
found both an isolation transformer and a voltage divider necessary for the
mic lines.

I don't know anyone who isolates the headphone lines - but many people use
isolation on the microphone lines and audio back to the computer for
recording lines.  My station hums like a son-of-a-bitch without isolation on
the mic lines.

All my best,

            ***dan, K6IF