[WriteLog] Audio file output?

Robert Peterson - W3YY w3yy at cox.net
Sun Jan 26 11:01:59 EST 2003

Richard -

Your files may be compressed, even though they have a .wav extension.  On my PC, WriteLog saves the files with the .wav extension, but if you right click on the file name in Windows Explorer and then click on Properties, you will see the file is really an MP3 file.  (Using Win XP Pro here - ur operating system might be different)

You can tell from the size of the file whether it is compressed.  I record 32kbps MPEG files, so a one hour file should be 32000 x 3600 (seconds) / 8 (bits/byte) = 14.4 MB.  That's exactly the file size of the .wav file that WriteLog records for one hour of operating.  An uncompressed CD quality (44.1KHz sample rate, 16 bit) one hour stereo file would be over 600MB!

Why are the files recorded with a .wav extension, rather than .mp3, I don't know.  Maybe the selected compression technique cannot be detected by WriteLog?

Anyway, check the size of your files.  That will tell you whether they are compressed, regardless of the file extension.

73, Bob - W3YY
w3yy at cox.net