[WriteLog] Writelog file concerns

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 14:47:32 EST 2003

Julian Cleak wrote:
> 1 yr seems > to be the critical time of operation hear.
> I did a report to our buyers when tenders were due for renewal and our records showed > that 78% of HDD failures happened within 2 months of being 1 yr old.

Since Julian mentioned Seagate drives in the part I snipped, perhaps a
reminder that ALL Seagate drives have a 1 year guarantee.

On the other hand, the only HD failure I have ever had was a Seagate,
and that was
with the electronics board, not the disks. I simply bought an
identical drive, swapped the electronics, recovered all the data, then
swapped the electronics back, sent the old drive to Seagate, and they
promptly replaced it.

Since I cannot seem to avoid buying HDs at hamfests ( I have about 8
spares ), I simply use the Norton Ghost regularly to backup the
current HD.

73
Ed