[WriteLog] BUG REPORT: Band Change Clock

Marty Tippin martyt at pobox.com
Tue Jan 28 20:17:22 EST 2003

It appears from my limited testing that WriteLog does not correctly support
the band change rules for the RTTY WPX contest for multi-operator entries.
Best I can tell, WriteLog only tracks band changes per hour, in a sliding
60-minute window or by the "10 minute rule".

The rules for RTTY WPX (and for ARRL RTTY Roundup) stipulate that
multi-operator entrants are "Limited to 6 band changes in any clock hour (0
through 59 minutes.)" -- so if I read that correctly, I could make 6 band
changes in the last 5 minutes of the hour and then make 6 more within the
first 5 minutes of the next hour and it would all be legal. And I had hoped
WriteLog's "Band Changes" window would help us keep track of them.

I started a new log for RTTY WPX and entered a few QSOs on different bands
and the "Band Changes" window correctly tracked the number of band changes.
So I then set the clock to 59 minutes past the hour and waited for it to
roll over to the top of the next hour, expecting the band change counter to
reset to 0. But it didn't. I then moved the clock ahead to 59 minutes after
the first band change QSO was entered, and as one hour from the first band
change passed, the band change counter decremented by 1. So clearly the
program utilizes a sliding 60-minute window (as in "6 band changes per hour")

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?? If not, anyone running a
multi-op station for WPX RTTY would be well advised to track their own band
changes carefully.

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt at pobox.com