[WriteLog] getting started questions

tad danley tdanley at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 27 10:05:29 EDT 2003

WA9ALS - John wrote:
> What does LOGic have to do with WriteLog?

I want to download my WriteLog contest QSOs into LOGic 6 after the
contests are over.

> What mode(s) are you going to operate using WriteLog - SSB, PSK, RTTY,
> and/or CW?

SSB, RTTY and CW for sure, and I will eventually want to experiment with
PSK.

> If you are going to operate RTTY, are you going to use AFSK or FSK?

In the past I always ran FSK with my KAM and IC-765, I thought there was
less chance of TX audio distortion with FSK.  I wonder if this is an
issue, and are there any advantages to running either FSK or AFSK?

> Are you going to be using rig control (CIV)?  If so, do you need a CIV
> interface for that, or is it built-in to your rig?  (eg 1000MP)

Yes, the rig is an IC-756 ProII.  I planned to use the LCU-3 that is
available with LOGic, but may use the ICOM CT-17 as it allows multiple
transceivers to be connected  --  I also have an IC-275H.

> What type(s) of PTT input does your rig have?  Can you use CIV PTT or do you
> need an interface?

I can control the PTT from either the LCU-3 or CT-17.

> You need to thoroughly understand these operating goals and considerations
> before you start wiring anything.  For about $5 you could have used switches
> made of 1 resistor and 1 transistor from RS and skipped the RigBlaster
> alltogether, but that's an old story.
>
> When you answer the above questions, I'm sure there are many on this list
> that would be happpy to help get you going.  73 - John, WA9ALS

Thanks and 73,

--
Tad Danley, K3TD