[WriteLog] ADI file format

George Johnson w1zt at attbi.com
Fri May 2 16:32:27 EDT 2003

Clive,
I just did a quick check on my version of WL 1040J to see what it did for
the RST ADIF export.  The test log was a CQWW CW contest selection with 2
contacts:

WriteLog
<EOH>
<QSO_DATE:8>20030502 <TIME_ON:6>192202 <FREQ:5>3.500 <BAND:3>80m <STX:1>1
<MODE:2>CW
    <CALL:6>GM3POI
    <RST_SENT:3>599
    <RST_RCVD:3>599
    <CQZ:2>14
    <COUNTRY:8>Scotland
    <PREF:2>GM
    <P:1>3
    <ZM:2> 1
    <CM:3>  1
<EOR>
<QSO_DATE:8>20030502 <TIME_ON:6>192237 <FREQ:5>3.500 <BAND:3>80m <STX:1>2
<MODE:2>CW
    <CALL:4>K0FX
    <RST_SENT:3>599
    <RST_RCVD:3>599
    <CQZ:1>4
    <COUNTRY:13>United States
    <PREF:1>K
    <P:1>0
    <ZM:2> 2
    <CM:3>  2
<EOR>

The file looks OK with respect to ADIF format rules (eg: your RST example)
and I believe the original intent of ADIF was to permit the presence or
absence of any particular field.  I would think the logging program can
decide to accept the record and use a "default" value of any particular
entry type or totally reject the record if it is not considered
"acceptable".  For example, DXBase will accept a missing RST but will not
accept a missing date or start time etc.  I routinely export ADIF files from
all types of WL contests, both internal and custom modules, into my DXBase
program for bulk logging.

73, George .. W1ZT