[WriteLog] Rotor Control

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 18:34:33 EDT 2003

> Mike K7DD,
> My Yaesu 1000DXA is controlled by a RotorEZ interface purchased from Idiom
> Press.  They also have interfaces for the HAM series of rotors as well.
> www.idiompress.com

Guys, this is for info only, and while I do not have computer rotor
control, I did design a rather unique switch for the 4 Tail twisters
on my towers. Am thinking this might save a few bucks in case multiple
interfaces would be needed.

I use a Centralab 8 pole, 5 position switch. Preparing it is simply a
matter of wiring the output of the control box ( or I would guess
interface ) to the 8 common poles.
( there are actually 4 poles on one side and 4 on the other ) Now,
taking just for example, the leads coming from 1 rotor, simple match
them up to the each pole wire
but wire them to sw position 1. From there on, it's a simple matter (
that's a lie ) to
do the same for the remaining rotors. For what it's worth, I use the
heavy duty plus connectors ( looks like a trailer hitch electrical
connector )sold by DAVIS RF ( about 12" long with mating plus on each
end ) and cut the thing about in the middle. One end of 8 wires is
then attached to the switch, and the other end spliced to the rotor
cable.

Then it's simply switching to the position representing the rotor you
want. One advantage is if you have a problem with the system, you can
merely unplug the problem rotor and plug one of the other rotor plugs
into the problem plug. If the rotor now responds, the
trouble in in the rotor wires or the rotor. If it doesn't, the problem
is from the switching network back to the control box. ( and since you
have all those extra control boxes, a new one can be wired in in about
5 minutes ) Now here is another idea. I actually wire a second control
box identical to the first using the heavy duty plug. If a control box
goes bad on me, I can have another in place within 30 seconds. BE SURE
you use the same type connector on BOTH control boxes. Trying to mate
a male to a male is not
conducive to your sanity.

Of course, if you use 2 control boxes and switches, you can split up
the rotors between the 2.

Hope this hint helps.

73
Ed