[WriteLog] W5XD Multi+ keyer not responding - HELP!

Eric Scace K3NA eric at K3NA.ORG
Thu May 22 02:24:35 EDT 2003

   Since you are not able to transmit CW, there is a good chance that you did not use the correct cable between the Multi+ and the
radio CW input.  I find a mono cable does the trick.  Look carefully at the documentation: the CW keyer in the Multi+ box keys the
RING and TIP -- not sleeve and tip.  Your radio probably expects to see tip connected to the radio's chassis ground.

-- Eric K3NA

-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:writelog-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of George K3GP
Sent: 2003 May 21 Wednesday 22:15
To: writelog at contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XD Multi+ keyer not responding - HELP!

I finally gave in to temptation and bought a Multi+ keyer this past
weekend at Dayton. However, I can’t get Writelog to recognize the
Multi+. I’ve double checked everything I can think of, and gone through
the reflector archives looking for answers to no avail.

The Problem: Writelog constantly reports “Timeout: V” in the code speed
window. I’ve verified that the unit has power (I can hear the relay
click when I switch from left to right on the remote speed control) and
verified that the RS-232 connection is good (Multi+ and radio (via
Multi+ pass-thru) are both on COM1, and writelog sees the radio just
fine). Additional symptom: CW paddles are connected to Multi+ but no CW
keying output on either CW Right or CW Left.

I did open the unit to verify that the self-test dip switch setting was
off, as well.

Port setup has CW selected on Com1 (along with radio) and the Multi+
selected below, COMM PTT=NO and CW PTT=NONE.

Either I’ve overlooked something simple or the unit is DOA (The former
is more likely than the latter)

ENVIRONMENT:

Writelog 10.40J

Windows XP Pro