[WriteLog] Loss of All QSOs from Memory

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Sun May 25 15:42:09 EDT 2003

"Frank Grossman (WB2BXO)" wrote:
> I recall reading somewhere that deleted files are not really deleted,
> and can be recovered in whole or in part.
---------------
Frank is absolutely correct in the above comment. When you delete a
file, the only thing which really happens is that the first byte of
the file is changed from a binary 1 to 0.

Of course, the FAT now considers that area of the HD fair game, and
will overwrite it if necessary.

The debug utility can be used to recover the file, along with many
others, such as some Norton utilities.

However, disk activity MUST be kept at an absolute minimum until the
file is recovered.

I think if I were to going to try it, I would boot with an emergency
start disk WITHOUT windows support, then try the debug.

Hope this helps.

Ed