[WriteLog] RE: User Port appears to have destroyed a Dell Insprion8100

George Johnson w1zt at attbi.com
Tue May 27 17:54:24 EDT 2003

Barry et al,
Your experience plus the post from KK9A makes me wonder if there is an
electrical (not S/W) drive problem on those motherboard parallel ports.  The
interface you used to connect to the port could be loading the port more
than the "designer" had planned.  And it would be worth checking your
circuit to see if that might be the case.  Otherwise, a repeat performance
might occur and just the wrong time.  As I recall, those ports were
originally TTL compatible current sinking rather than current sourcing
ports.  Our interfaces typically draw current to operate the keying
transistor.  The "typical TTL load" does not.

I noted in KK9A's post that he used LPT2 (on the SIIG board) successfully;
not the Dell motherboard port.  Hmm...
A look at the size of the series resistor in the base of the keying
transistor will allow an estimate of the current drawn from the LPT port.
George .. W1ZT