[WriteLog] PSK63

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue May 27 21:50:13 EDT 2003

A few of us on the RTTY reflector participated to two 2-hour Sprints
this past weekend using PSK63 as a test.  Most of us were skeptical that
it could be a decent contest mode considering we had tried PSK31 and
that mode sucked as far as contesting is concerned - much too slow.

I tested PSK63 prior to the Sprint tests and thought there would be no
way it would work for contesting - much too fast.  This was based on using
PSK31 software and the slow AFC response time, but AFC jumping around
etc.

However, I must admit that I am very surprised at how well PSK63 performed
during the Sprint tests.  During the first 2 hour session, I was only able to
operate the last 20 minutes due to other commitments.  I worked 7 stations
and did not have to repeat a single transmission.

The next night in the next 2 hour session I was only able to operate the first
30 minutes do to commitments, but I worked 18 stations in the first 15 minutes!
This was a phenomenal rate for a new mode.  Using WinPSK, I was able
to click on callsigns to put it into an "Entry" type window and sent pre-programmed
buffers.  The exchanges were fast and precise.  The AFC worked great - fast
and I did not have any trouble coping even QRP stations running less than 5 watts.

After that, things slowed down because there weren't too many others to work
and I did have to ask one station for a repeat.

However, without going into a lot discussion of what kind of problems would
exist in a PSK63 contest atmosphere, I can say that it just might be the fast digital
contesting mode many have sought.  I doubt it replaces RTTY in my lifetime, but
it's a very good start.  A PSK63 contest just might be fun.  I understand there is a
contest set for September.  I hope to be able to operate.

You can find the PSK63 DLL at http://www.qsl.net/kh6ty/psk63/.  Any program
that uses PSKCORE.DLL can be made to run PSK63.

Wayne, I don't know that it would be a high priority to make PSK63 a part of
WriteLog, but it sure beats the pants off PSK31 as far as contesting is concerned.
BTW, I used WL to log during the 2nd two hour session by putting the Entry Window
at the bottom of the screen below the WinPSK window using the ARRL RTTY
Roundup module.

73, Don AA5AU