[WriteLog] cw keying through w5xd multi keyer

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Sun Nov 9 15:44:14 EST 2003

You may not have your CW keyline wired up correctly.  This is a common problem.

To maintain isolation between various chassis grounds, the W5XD+ Multikeyer uses a stereo 1/8" jack for the CW keyline.  The key
closure occurs between tip and RING, not tip and sleeve as most people expect.  If you just jammed in a stereo plug without wiring
it correctly, you will not get the desired result.

A common approach, when differentials between chassis is not an issue (i.e., no ground loops are screwing up the audio side of
things) is to use a mono jack.

This is also true for the PTT jacks in the W5XD+ Multikeyer.

-- Eric K3NA