[WriteLog] WL/MMTTY Problem

Scott Nichols snichols at mvosprey.com
Mon Nov 10 21:12:11 EST 2003

I've been having an irritating problem here for months and I can't get
rid of it...Maybe someone here can help...

Using Writelog v 10.42C with MMTTY plugin on a PIII Win98se
computer...Running FSK...

Problem:

Periocically, the RTTY Control Panel window will freeze up on me, making
it unable to decode RTTY signals...All else works fine when this
happens, i.e. I can still hear the signals, I can still send RTTY, I can
log, save etc in Writelog...When it does freeze, the wave line in the
Control Panel window freezes in a pattern similar to that which appears
when transmitting (like a Bell curve)...Also, it appears to only occur
after I TX or during a TX...I have never seen it happen when just
sitting there listening...To fix this problem, all I have to do is close
Writelog and immediately reopen it...It is a royal pain in the ____ as
it occurs randomly...Sometimes it happens every minute or so, other
times it doesn't haunt me for hours...

Other times, I get a Windows "Illegal Operation" error...same as above,
everything else works fine, I can save etc etc...Again, closing WL and
immediately reopening it solves the problem...When this happens,
everything slows down on the close/reopen process, but it always comes
back...

I'm no computer guru, but when I see Illegal Operation errors, that
generally means there is a software conflict somewhere...I have
completely wiped WL, MMTTY from my machine and reloaded from
scratch...Still the same thing...

Anyone having or had the same trouble ? If so what did you do to fix it
? bad soundcard ? Settings issue ? Windows problem ?

Or, anyone have any suggestions ?

Any help would be appreciated...

73, Scott VE1OP