[WriteLog] W5XD Keyer & USB connection

Rick Tavan tavan at tibco.com
Tue Nov 25 23:29:40 EST 2003

I've used two different USB-to-Serial Port adapters for rig control from
Writelog to FT-1000MP, K2 and TS-930/PIEXX with excellent results under
Win 2000 Pro. With the two port adapter I can control two rigs at the
same time from one USB port. It's not quite plug 'n play, though - I had
to install a driver for one or both of the adapters but, surprisingly,
the drivers shipped with the adapters actually worked. I recall playing
around with the Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager /
Ports / Properties (including ... / Advanced) settings to get the COM<n>
numbers to align properly and other things set up right. Once I finally
got it working, the settings seem to come back each time I plug in one
of the adapters or the Palm Hot Synch cable that also time-shares the
USB slot.

I haven't tried serial port keying and would have been surprised if it
worked even before reading Wayne's comments about this marginal miracle
technology.

/Rick N6XI