[WriteLog] Re: W5XD Keyer & USB connection (GW4BLE)

Bob McCormick W1QA writelog at W1QA.com
Thu Nov 27 09:38:57 EST 2003

One idea regarding USB and serial connections:

I realise that most new laptops have USB,
may not have any serial, could have firewire
or even Ethernet and usually have PCMCIA slots.

I'm not aware of any PCMCIA multiport serial
devices - gads, that could be a difficult
cable dongle for more than one or two ports!

But in recent years, there were a lot of docking
stations that were more than just port replicators:
some even had PCI slots, peripheral bays, etc.
Though you may not find any today ... some of these
late model notebooks and docking stations may still
be around - and many would even be suitable for
running Windows XP, too.

Other than an ICOM rig control adapter that couldn't
get any power from it, I've had great luck with
the ByteRunner multiport PCI cards ... even under
Windows 98 (very simple install).  (Using 8-port versions.)

My experiene with USB to serial port adapters ...
both with ham type applications as well as with
other things I work with professionally ...
is dismal.  As Wayne pointed out in another post,
they'll pass data - but there can be significant
delays in the handling of the various EIA signals.
If you've got an application that relies on timely
transition and reporting of these signals ...
my experience has been USB devices don't cut it.

Bob W1QA