[WriteLog] addled machine issues

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Mon Oct 27 19:37:31 EST 2003

Hi --

   We ran a Multi/2 station which included some computers of about 500 MHz processing capacity, 256 MB RAM, and Win98SE.  During the
contest, at several points we discovered that the recorded "CQ" message was the only message that would be sent by ANY function key.
All the disk files with the recorded messages were fine.

   At first blush, it seems like memory-resident messages were getting confused by the operating system or WL or both.

   Furthermore, over time the system responsiveness got worse and worse.  Eventually we saved the log and did a warm start (restart)
of the Win98 computer.  Everything then worked normally for another 8 hours or so.

   No other applications were running on these machines other than WL-initiated jobs (WL, bandmap, packet).

   Are we just running into memory leak or other Win98 problems, or is something else going on (e.g., inadequate RAM capacity)?  Any
ideas out there?

-- Eric K3NA