[WriteLog] Soundcard DVP

llindblom at juno.com llindblom at juno.com
Wed Oct 29 21:29:49 EST 2003

I play at a multi op for several of the major SSB tests.  Using Writelog with a mixture of soundcard DVP and W9XT contest cards and no problem similar to yours.

73 W0ETC

-- "John Lindmeier" <lindmeie at bellatlantic.net> wrote:
I have read over the posts to the reflector about the problems using the
soundcard as a DVP in Writelog.  I have been fighting with this problem for
a year since we changed to Writelog from CT at N3AD's.  In the CQWW Phone in
2002 we used release 10.34.  In the ARRL DX Phone, we used release 10.38.
In the CQWW Phone 2003, we used release 10.42.  All these releases have had
the same problems.  These problems are:

1 - Press F1 to call CQ with a recorded message.  Radio click on and off
with no message played.  This is the same thing that happens when you try
and play a wave file before you record one.  It looks like the program
looses its pointer to the location of the wave file.  The only way to
recover is to exit & restart Writelog.

2 - Press shift-F1 to record a message.  Press F1 to play back the message
and the old message is played.  The new message is not recorded.  The
recovery for this is to reboot the PC.

3 - Press a function key to play a recorded message and no sound is played.
Radio stays in transmit for the length of the message but no audio is sent.
The recovery for this is to reboot the PC.

Last weekend, I kept a log of how many times we had to exit and restart
writelog or have to reboot the PC and restart writelog.  That log has 63
enteries.  This is totally un-acceptable.  It is very frustrating to be in a
good run and have to exit & restart writelog.  I have been fighting this for
a year and that is enough.

We have 4 PCs running Win98SE.  The soundcards are all soundblaster 16's
(CT-2940).  I have sent all of this information to k5dj at Writelog.com and
have been totally ignored.  At N3AD, we are going back to CT.

I have only had this happen once while single-op.  But all my multi-multis
have been a disaster.  And, its only worse since the writelog folks won't
acknowledge the problem.

I wish everyone experiencing this problem the best of luck dealing with it.

73 - John - K3ZV