[WriteLog] Sweepstakes! WL Setup Hints

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Thu Oct 30 02:47:17 EST 2003

> >2. Last year you spent a whole lot of time getting the
> windows positioned
> just right too. This year, use one of WriteLog's new features
> and import the
> window positions. Go to 'Contest' (I think, I'm in an airport
> right now!),
> select 'Recover Window Layout' and select last years contest.
> Presto chango,
> your windows are all in place.

> There's a faster way.
>
> 1.  Start last year's contest by double-clicking the .wl file.
>
> 2.  Delete all the QSOs (click on one, then Ctrl-A, then right-click
> and select Delete QSO)
>
> 3.  Click File, Save As, and give it a different name.
>
> Takes longer to tell than to do.
>
> --

I recommend against that last technique (delete all the QSO's from
last year's file). The reason is that the details of the exchange
fields (the columns in the log) are determined at the time WL
creates a new file and cannot be changed again. The prime example
is the width in characters of a column. Sometimes during a year,
a contest module gets updated to widen a column (and usually there
is a very good reason for that) but deleting all the QSOs from last
year's log preserves last year's column widths.

Wayne