[WriteLog] General logging

Rick Tavan tavan at tibco.com
Sun Apr 18 01:45:59 EDT 2004

I tried the DXpedition mode and found the paucity of data entry fields
unacceptable for general QSOs, so I defined my own general logging
format with more and longer fields. They don't all quite fit within one
line, so I have to scroll back and forth a bit to get to the less
frequently used fields. And RST-type fields have their bizarre
behaviour, screwing up the third digit and working differently on phone
and CW. Setting up the field definitions is a frustrating exercise in
itself because you have to get it exactly right before logging the first
QSO and, as far as I can tell, you must define the fields in display
order because they can't be rearranged. I think there may be a way to
export and re-import to a newly defined format with better field
definitions but I haven't found it yet. And all fields are fixed-length
so you have to make them long enough to accomodate maximum-length calls,
QTHs, comments, etc., further exacerbating the fit-on-a-line problem.
This is all far from optimal and I intend to switch to a real general
purpose logger in the future, perhaps DX4WIN. So far it has been easier
to fight Writelog than to learn another piece of software, but
Writelog's mission in life is clearly contesting, not general logging.

73,

/Rick N6XI