[WriteLog] FW: K9JY Web Site Information Request

Scot Herrick scot at k9jy.com
Thu Aug 12 01:46:24 EDT 2004

All,

Over the past couple of years, there has been a fair amount of discussion,
off and on, about how "complicated" WriteLog is to use. Others have noted
that my web site is better than the Help files, but still too "engineering"
oriented (though I am neither an engineer nor a programmer).

I've directly contacted some people stating those critiques because my
objective for the web site is to provide beginners as well as experienced
users the information they need about WriteLog to reach their contesting
objectives. After some due consideration, I think my site has become a bit
past where a true beginning contester would be starting off with WriteLog,
probably a natural result of doing this now for several years.

To address this, I'm creating a section called "WriteLog Lite," named from a
blatantly stolen suggestion made somewhere in the past on the reflector,
with the specific purpose of providing "one-time" setup work and then
recurring setup for the CW, SSB, and Digital modes. It is to address
beginning users and those that do single radio, often single mode,
contesting. The section will strip away a lot of options available for SO2R,
networking, and Multi-Op Contesting and focus on single radio contesting
used by hundreds - perhaps thousands - of WriteLog users. The beginnings of
this are up on the web site already in the "WriteLog Lite" section on the
left navigation bar; you all can see a work in progress as I move along. You
may have to 'refresh' your browser to see the addition.

In any case, here is where I need your help. I'd like to provide information
on the Setup|Ports section to show how all the different radios are set up
on a com port. I have an FT-1000MP, but don't know the settings for any
other radio out there. So, if you have radio control connected to WriteLog,
I'd like to know your settings in the Setup|Ports dialog box. And for those
of you with the external box for Icom's (CV-17?) I'd like to know that too.
I also think with Icom's that one has to change radio addresses, so if you
can address that in the email, I'll get that in there also.

Reply to me direct at mailto:scot at k9jy.com and as I get the radio
information, I'll post back here to the reflector so we don't get too much
duplication. I really appreciate the help.

Also, as an aside, I now have the capability to create Adobe Acrobat files
and I am going to provide an Acrobat file for every section of my web site
so it can be downloaded for personal use. I have one up there for the
Universal Setup section. If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you should be
able to read, print, and save the file for reference. As I work through this
WriteLog Lite project, I'll be adding more.

Thanks in advance.

Scot, K9JY

Scot Herrick

See K9JY's WriteLog User Support Site at:

http://www.k9jy.com

 <mailto:scot at k9jy.com>