[WriteLog] re-install

Natan Huffman natan at twcny.rr.com
Thu Aug 19 15:29:00 EDT 2004

Dear Group,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a reference or offer some help.
Recently my 10 year old dedicated WL computer died (fatal HDD malfunction)
and I've been forced to purchase a new contemporary HP computer as a
replacement.  I run a SO2R setup using the W5XD Multikeyer 1100 and the dear
computer has but one serial port.  I'm having several challenges:

1/         I cannot get any version 10 to install even though I have a new
serial number.

2/         Since I have but one physical serial port, I plan on using a
cable to convert a serial to USB connection.  Is this reasonable?

3/         Went out and purchased a Creative Lab SoundBlaster audio card and
it installed and works fine.  I did this because the applet sbchk was not
too kind when it looked at the built in sound chips, so I purchased a real
sound card.  However, the new sound card gets the identical poor sbchk
result as if the sbchk is still looking at the old chip set.  Is this
possible?

The new P4 3.0 GHz. Computer is using Windows XP Home Edition.  Want to get
WL working for the season and all the new antennas.

73

Natan W6XR