[WriteLog] RE: [RTTY] Data conversion Need an extrta port?

Dave Bernstein aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Wed Feb 4 16:18:17 EST 2004

The second paragraph of the section you mention says

"The project in this article is based on the FT8U245AM device
manufactured by FTDI Ltd in Scotland, (www.ftdichip.com).  This chip
comes as a 32 pin surface mount MQFP miniature package. To work, the
chip only requires a 6MHz crystal, some passives and the USB socket,
Fig3. The chip interfaces to an external microprocessor via an 8 bit
parallel port and four read write and control lines. From the micro's
point of view, the FT245 chip looks like a 384 byte FIFO buffer for
transmit, and a 128 byte FIFO buffer on receive. The FT245 works in the
full USB speed mode and can transfer data at around 1 Megabyte per
second."

While the Windows driver supplied with the FT8U245AM does emulate a
serial port, you'd need an appropriately-programmed PIC or some other
embedded microprocessor with a built-in UART to create a PC-accessible
serial port. That's a little more involved than "you can use an USB port
as a serial port".

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ