[SPAM] RE: [WriteLog] Serial Card Question

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Sun Feb 8 17:04:40 EST 2004

First, let me apologize, as I was not familiar with the apparent "standard"=
 of using the TXD output of a serial port for FSK purposes. =

I have reviewed the site: http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html which I w=
ould heartily recommend to all who are interested in this.

I presumed that you were able to use a single port to control your radio, d=
o PTT and FSK - which, you could - as long as you weren't using TXD for FSK=
.  I don't know why you would not use DTR or RTS as I said, which would all=
ow you to continue to read/control your radio's frequency from that same po=
rt.  Perhaps, those two outputs are used for PTT and CW and cannot be used =
for FSK because of that conflicting standard?

Any of the output pins can be switched on and off (toggled state - on/off, =
hi/low, low/hi - whatever) to control somthing, which in this case, for FSK=
, the TXD pin is being toggled on and off to shift the carrier using the FS=
K input of your radio.

Again, if your serial port does not have TXD and RXD on pins 3 and 2 respec=
tively, you have a problem with that port not having everything it should h=
ave.

73,
Bob N5NJ

> From: "WA9ALS - John" <ham_reflectors at wa9als.com>
> To: "WriteLog" <WriteLog at contesting.com>
> Date: Sun, Feb-8-2004 3:15 PM
> Subject: Re: [SPAM] RE: [WriteLog] Serial Card Question
> =

> Bob, please tell us in exquisite detail exactly how a RigBlaster (Pro or
> plain) sends FSK without using the TxD line.  The Rigblaster doesn't have=
> 5-bit Baudot code generator in it!  That information comes from WriteLog =
via
> the TxD line of the serial port.  The Rigblaster Pro -allows- you to use =
FSK