[WriteLog] 10.45m "observances"

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 16 10:01:57 EST 2004

Hi Wayne and gang,

In 5 years, I have never used any contest software but Writelog for RTTY
contests.  I'm still learning things.  But I noted these "anomalies" this
past weekend which might need to be looked at:

1.  Why isn't "number required" the default for the WPX exchange?
     (I changed the default).  I noted that when I used ENTER to log a QSO,
     Writelog would not accept the QSO if there was no serial number entered.
     HOWEVER, using the mouse to "Enter in log" did NOT perform the check,
     it allowed me to log serial number-less QSOs.

2.  The "Time on" in the Rate window is wrong.  It starts counting from when
     Writelog is started.  This used to show "Time on" for the whole contest,
     regardless of how many times you re-started Writelog.  So I have no idea
     how many hours I operated this one.

3.  Several times, I tried to save the config info.  I got a dialogue box
saying
     something like "Save config could not be completed.  "wpx2004rt -
Writelog"
     program is not responding."  However it seemed to save the info OK.  Using
     WinXP Pro with all the patches.

4.  %D didn't work correctly in the F3 buffer.  I had mine programmed as:

       %R%D 599-%3 %3 %D%R%E

     I expected it to print:

       <DX> 599-### ### <DX>

     But instead it usually sent:

       <DX> 599-### ### AD1C

5.  Auto (timed) CQ didn't work with MMTTY 1.65.  I could never get it to
repeat.

6.  In the lower-left hand corner, "kHz" should be abbreviated "KHz" and
there should
     be a space between "KHz" and the mode.  Mine read like:

       14080 kHzFSK

     It would have looked nicer if it said:

       14080 KHz FSK

7.  It annoys me that when you type in a call, in the logging box it says
"New Mult" but when
     you enter the serial number, the "New Mult" indication goes away.

8.  When I was CQing, INSERT would pick up the highlighted-call from the
screen, but when
     I was in S&P mode, it did not.  For example, I dump in my call, I get
a report back, I hit
     INSERT then it sends the F3 message above without his callsign.

Thanks & 73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC