[WriteLog] messages and ptt

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Mon Feb 16 15:44:49 EST 2004

All,

I am beginning to see an increase in the number of occurrences where PTT
does not get correctly asserted. And I am seeing a correlation with the use
of AFSK vs FSK.

This would show up during a long run of CQ messages when I would suddenly
realize that even thou I was seeing the message on the rtty window I was
not hearing my linear. And indeed if I depress the PTT footswitch, the
transmitter keys. Or if you click the cq message (I use Fkeys, so I don't
know what would happen if I depress F1 for example) it would key the
transmitter but send out two messages.

I had both rigs using FSK for a long time and rarely saw this problem (only
when I was doing some fancy mouse clicking and then I think the state
information got messed up).

In the last two contests, I switched one rig back to AFSK so I could use
its better filters (centered at 1500 hz) and now that rig is showing this
problem. While I was '"running" on the rig using FSK the problem never
showed up. And that is the same rig that use d AFSK before and would always
mess up.

So somehow there is a timing problem with PTT being asserted by rig control
while using AFSK (sound board latency? ) that doesn't occur when FSK is used?

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net