[WriteLog] Problems with two sound cards and MMTTY plug-in

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Sat Feb 28 12:28:02 EST 2004

All with more than one sound card,

There is a "gotcha" that I have discovered with WinXP Pro and Writelog/MMTTY.

Most of us have learned that the index numbers assigned to sound boards go
along with their physical installation. So that a sound board on the mother
board would be [0], the first card I install would be [1] and the second
would be [2].

But in WinXP there are two different orderings of the list on sound
devices. If you have WinXP open the volume control applet that we all use
to adjust the volume for record and playback. Compare that list of devices
(goes along with physical installation) with the list that you get from the
Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. Here you can change the default
device which always becomes index [0] moving the index used to get to the
other cards.

So the indexes that MMTTY and older versions of Writelog (before the new
WlSbControl which lets you pick the exact card you want to use) are often
off by one depending on how you have the default devices set.

If you only have one sound card this is not a concern

Nice consistent software???

See you all in NAQP

Jerry, W6IHG

At 08:47 PM 2/27/2004 +0000, Robert McGwier wrote:

>(-1) for the device in MMTTY is the system default.
>
>(0), (1), . . . .  are assigned to specific cards irrespective of
>which is the system default.
>
>When you assigned (-1) and (0), you like picked the same card and
>after its handle was assigned, you attempted to reassign it and
>got an error message.
>
>Bob

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net