[WriteLog] CW decoder problem

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 1 16:36:48 EST 2004

I use one channel of the line input and set WL for one radio mode. That
works fine on my IBM laptop. As others have noted, be sure that you are
using the Record Menu on your sound card mixer to select and control
the input.

Remember that a mic input will typically have 20-40 dB more gain than a
line input, and as a result, may be picking up lots of noise, hum,
buzz, and even RF. A line input, if you have one, is a much better
option. If you must use a mic input, I would suggest a pad (resistive
divider) on the input of at least 20 dB. Values aren't critical -- I
would try 47 ohms in parallel with the input and 470 ohms  or 1K ohms
between the computer input and the radio's audio output. 47 and 470
will give you -20 dB, 47 and 1 K gives you -26 dB. It's 20 log
[R1/(R1+R2)]

Jim K9YC