[WriteLog] WL Newbee

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Fri Jan 16 09:46:03 EST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:17:42 -0500 "Leslie Sachau" <leptons at verizon.net>
writes:

> My question is:  does WL key the rig through the serial connection?
> i.e. can I leave the MIC connection on the 850 unused?
> Thanks for your help and 73,
> Les - KT3R

WL does not do fsk keying through the radio serial
connection.

The best way to do fsk keying is to build the little circuit
(one resistor and one transistor) and connect it to
the RTTY RCA jack on the back of the 850. This requires
a separate com port, other than the one used for rig
control. The circuit is shown somewhere in the WL help files.

WL DOES activate ptt over the radio serial link, if
you check the box in the setup ports menu.

If you don't have an available com port, you will have to
use afsk and the mic connector, with suitable interface
circuits. In that case select "low tones" in both mmtty and
on the 850 menu. That selection will allow you to use the 850's
cw filters in the LSB mode, and rtty signals will be
centered in the passband. Use the front panel mic connector,
rather than the 13 pin din in the back. The 13 pin din is
more susceptible to rfi.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ