[WriteLog] lost sound card

Alan Maenchen ad6e at inreach.com
Sat Jan 17 18:46:21 EST 2004

This is a bit off topic, but this WL group has a lot of knowledge in this
area and I'm looking for help.

After several years running W98se I upgraded to W2k pro last week. The
reason for upgrading was not ham radio related, but this is also my radio
computer. I could have upgraded to XP pro but for some reason decided to
limit my jump. I still have that option.

WL and most other programs were transfered over to the new W2k registry
without problems. However, I seem to have lost the main sound card function.
The "main sound card" is actually the sound card hardware embedded in the
mother board which is wired to an amp and speakers.  I also have a second
sound card, a Sound Blaster PCI, that is wired to the radio for use with WL.
This was all working fine under W98.  Now, W2k sees the mother board sound
card as an "unknown device". The SB PCI card is working just fine, but it is
now the "primary" sound card so Media Player sends audio to the PCI card
instead of the motherboard sound. WL sees no sound card at all since it's
looking for a secondary card.

The mother board is a few years old and I don't have the original software
that came with it. It has an AC97 codec and God know what else.

Obviously I could re-direct WL to the "primary", but that isn't a good
solution. That's why I bought the PCI card in the first place. Any advice
besides revert back to W98?

73, Al  AD6E
ad6e at inreach.com