[WriteLog] Major SNAFU in NAQP SSB

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 20:02:03 EST 2004

K5RC at aol.com wrote:
> With a P3-400 computer and the Preset Exchange file enabled, warm boots take
> 4-5 minutes.

That is excessive to an extreme. If your BIOS supports it, run some
program which will keep the CPU sweating, then do a reboot, hit del to
go to the BIOS and see if it has a CPU overheat setting.

I use a PII-600 here in the hamshack because the blooming thing is
bulletproof. But, I found that even with that massive heat sink on the
PII, ( it's about 6" long and 3 sections ) it would come up to the
"temp limit" mark, which I have set to 55 degrees C. Solution was a
cooling fan run in reverse to blow air directly on the heat sink.

CPU now rarely exceeds 43 degrees C, and I just order one of those
little dual fan exhausts which mounts in an unused slot opening. This
one will blow air out of the machine. Tiger direct has them for $7.95.

They also have hard drive single fan heat sinks for $7.95. The
hamshack HD runs pretty cool, but this 2.2 mHz job here upstairs gets
hot as a $2 pistol. ( Seagate 7200 RPM
80 Gig )

73
Ed