[WriteLog] Networking

Bob McCormick W1QA writelog at W1QA.com
Wed Jan 28 19:51:46 EST 2004

> http://www.writelog.com/NetSetupXP/network_setup_for_xp.htm
>
> has some hints and step-by-step instructions that have yet
> been mentioned in this thread.

One of the steps is to:

If this is not necessary I would suggest against this.

In any event - be sure you NEVER attach a Windows
based system directly to the Internet with the
guest account enabled - or with weak or no admin
passwords.  There are too many issues and past
vulnerabilities ...

Additional thought:
In the early days - from circa 1985 and maybe for as
much as 10 years ... NetBEUI was the standard protocol,
and NetBIOS ran on top of it.  Subsequent to the release
of Windows 95 Microsoft (just about and everyone else)
has migrated to using TCP/IP as the default networking
protocol.

For backward compatibility Microsoft created the ability
for NetBIOS to run on top of (over) TCP/IP ... removing
the need for NetBEUI.

So ... on the aforementioned URL that Wayne posted ...
you will notice the Advanced TCP/IP Settings property sheet.
When you click on the WINS tab you will see settings that
will allow you to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".  Make sure
that is setup.

And as a side note ... by default, Microsoft has the
"Enable LMHOSTS lookup" box checked.  Unless you actually
have something in that file (and I suspect 99.9% don't)
best just to uncheck that beast.  Why waste any CPU cycles
even checking the LMHOSTS file if there's nothing valid in it?

HTH
Bob W1QA