[WriteLog] Using heil Headset Mike with Logging Programs`

Frank Grossman (WB2BXO) flgrossman at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 13:03:23 EDT 2004

It's been pointed out many times on Writelog and other reflectors that one should keep both hands on the keyboard during contests.  I prefer to do this on SSB using a headset-microphone, rather than programming .wav files to do the talking for me.

Recently, I replaced an older Heil headset mike with the newer Heil Pro-Set Plus (Icom) mike with both elements, but have had great difficulty adjusting the VOX on my ICOM-765 properly.  It appears that each element requires its own VOX settings, and that the settings for the "DX" element are especially critical.

Some have suggested that the only solution is to use a foot switch, but I've been told this may create difficulties in keying my Alinco 811H amp with the QSK-5 CW break-in box in-line.  (Still investigating this issue)

Any suggestions?

Frank
WB2BXO