[WriteLog] Operating Systems and Specialized Software

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 1 13:04:58 EDT 2004

Jim Brown wrote:
snipped

> critical software MUST be upgraded and requires the upgraded OS). I know of
> several VERY sharp computer folks who have spent a week nearly full time dealing
> with a failed upgrade. One of them worked for Microsoft as a software debugger,
> another is an experienced programmer. I've had an upgrade come close to blowing
> up on me. All of us are electrical engineers.

I would think "VERY sharp computer folks" would have the common sense
to make a backup of their system before installing an upgrade. It
takes about 8 minutes, considerably less than almost "a full weeks"
work restoring the system. You can bet your bottom dollar when the
update to XP comes out, XP will have been backed up first.

I fully believe in your suggestions, but think the a relatively
specialized program like WL does not fall in the special category of
your work.

73
Ed