[WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

Gary Ferdinand W2CS w2cs at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 8 10:15:33 EDT 2004

I'll toss in one further comment to the excellent input given here.

"Just" having nightly (or whatever) backups in my mind is necessary, but not
sufficient.  I need to have some degree of protection against myself!  There
is an entire class of screwup, be it caused by me or caused by some errant
component in my system, that might lie undetected for a relatively long
period of time.   While you can't guard against everything and do reach a
point of diminishing returns, I routinely keep rotating quarterly backups in
addition to the backups taken more frequently.

I'm trying to guard against one backup (containing undetected, logically bad
data) overlaying a good backup (containing the original data) and my merrily
thinking all is well...

73,

Gary W2CS