[WriteLog] Writelog on old PC's

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 13:04:15 EDT 2004

Writelog does run just fine on old PCs.  The main computer here is an
original Pentium 90MHz, from Gateway, with 72M of RAM.  It handles SO2R,
Telnet and ethernet linking to another computer all at the same time, just
fine.  I use it to produce CW keying and voice keying off the hard drive and
record audio with it as well.  It is running WIN 95, WITHOUT service pack 1,
which is notorious for slowing down WIN 95.  It will not handle the CW
reader, and I never use it for RTTY but I think it will handle RTTY.  The
second machine on the network is a P120 running WIN 95 with 16M of RAM - it
keeps a duplicate log and drives a second display with no problems.  I have
run Writelog on a 486DX66 with 8M of RAM.   The program ran just fine, but
when added to the network it bogs the network down badly.
Writelog is very forgiving vs. old machines - it will run on darn near
anything.
73, Hal, N4GG