[WriteLog] USB Adapters

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jun 5 02:31:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:09:09 -0700, GARY ELLIOT wrote:

>just about any USB to serial adapter would work for rig control.

I think that's a VERY bad assumption. USB to serial adapters have "issues" because
they are not real serial ports. One of them is that they can easily delay the commands
by several seconds!

A Belkin USB to serial adapter, with the latest drivers downloaded from their site,
crashed XP every time I tried to use it.

To be sure the port will work, use a PCMCIA adapter.  I have a Quatech DSP-100 (2
ports) that works on both rigs that I've tested it with (K2 and TS-850), including sending
CW.

Jim Brown  K9YC