[WriteLog] Networking problems 1 way

Robin I. Robinson rob at christos-consulting.com
Fri Jun 25 07:51:04 EDT 2004

I am not an expert at writelog networking, however, I have it working on my
end, and I am a network engineer.

First, are you using tcp/ip or netbeui?  I have had the most success running
tcp/ip and forgetting about netbeui, I don't even have it on my machines.
Assuming you have tcp/ip loaded, make sure that is obtaining an IP address
from the linksys router.  Check with your manual on the router about how to
set this up, it is easy.

Next, make sure all your systems are in the same workgroup.  If they are
not, it won't work.  This can be done by right clicking on you're my
Computer Icon and checking the identity properties.

After this, make sure you go into writelog and select register to accept
network connections on each machine.  Once this is done, you then need to
select link to network on each machine.  This should be all you need.

While I have not tried it in a workgroup environment, I do know that this
works in a domain environment.  It should be the same for a workgroup.  As
far as the usernames and passwords being the same, that should not be
necessary.  For the program to work in network mode, all you really need is
your network protocols to be functioning properly.  If you are relying
solely on netbeui, that may not work.

Hope this helps, I know in a domain it took about 2 minutes to set up.

Rob Robinson, MCSE, CCA, CCNA, CCDA
Christos Consulting
rob at christos-consulting.com