[WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

Bruce Ferry ak8b at brightdsl.net
Tue Jun 29 15:08:14 EDT 2004

Rob wrote:
> I would agree with what you are saying about the internet functionality.  It
> honestly would be more trouble than it would be worth.  You would need at
> least one or two IP addresses (depending on your hardware) on each end and
> set up a VPN.  This would be way beyond the expertise of 90% of the users at
> best.
>
> Stick to TCP/IP as a private LAN, don't try to go public or you will be
> opening Pandora's a Pandora's box.

I disagree. I think it is important to be able to connect from "outside"
my local LAN. Why would we need a VPN? The gamers do this on a grand
scale now so I would think Writelog could. Opening up a port and
directing it to my "server" on my router is no problem.

I probably wouldn't use it often but there are a few contests where a
group of us could work the contests where this is allowed as a
multi-multi - and with all the comforts of home at hand.

> Like I said, migration to a pseudo client/server mode where the system
> hosting the log is the "server" and everyone else connects to this box via
> TCP/IP using a broadcast/handshake should yield a very stable environment.
>
> As far as operating systems, let's face it folks, 98 will die soon.  It will
> not support the new hardware in the future.  Manufacturers are already
> talking about dropping driver support for it, and the newer systems have so
> much greater stability that the 9X systems will be gone in 2-3 years at
> best.

This is very unrealistic. WIN98 will be around for some time - not on
new hardware but it will live on in the old stuff us cheap (oops I meant
thrifty) hams frequently use. My Pentium 100 laptop with 40 MB RAM does
just fine running Writelog and I see no reason to spend money on an upgrade.

> I guess what I am saying is that it may be time to think about migration
> before WL is forced to due to technology changes.  It is better to be ahead
> of the curve than left behind.

Amen!

> Rob
> AF2FA