[WriteLog] Microsoft and networking

Dave L Thompson k4jrb at juno.com
Wed Jun 30 19:27:52 EDT 2004

I think we have just about come to the end of this thread.   Wayne is not
going to be able to address all the required changes with the contest
modules with all the suggestions flying.

However, the microsoft issue is very real (planned obsolescence).
Earthlink and Norton have dropped all support for Windows 95 (either
version) and Norton will probably drop support forW98  live updates in
December (they are only on support now..no updates or new sales).
Earthlink is dropping W98 (both versions) about the same time with their
2005 windows software.   ME and 2000 were the home and office versions
between W98 Ver 2 and XP which is really NT.   There will be a new
version of XP soon so even the time for ME and 2000 is less than 2 years.
 There are some DOD support issues with 2000 that may prolong the life of
that version for a year or two.  Any good windows software writer is only
working on XP now however.

We need to be think of moving everything to USB ports as the plan at
microsoft is to support only USB.  COM ports will be with us for awhile
but anything else is out due to planned obsolescence.   Its always been
that way.

Now back to writelog OK gang!

Dave K4JRB