[WriteLog] Re: What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 1 08:48:39 EST 2004

Jim,

I prefer it because it allows one to run the radio in FSK mode as opposed to
SSB mode, thereby utilizing the radio's "pre-configured" narrower (is that a
word?) bandwidth.  It also allows for using the CW filters without needing
to adjust the IF passband (although newer radios are easier to adjust for
this now with the shifts and DSP configurations).  For me, my 850 in SSB
with the narrow filters don't work unless I shift all of the filter
passbands, in FSK mode, its right on the money.   Also, there's less chance
of RF getting into the soundcard and distorting the audio on transmit, which
was a serious issue with running a Kam and using the rear audio inputs,
therefore I had to actually use the MIC jack because of the feedback issue.
This was a pain to switch back and forth between digital and voice.

So for me, the FSK mode was the only answer, once the interface was built
and connected to the radio, there were no other changes needed to be made to
switch between voice and digital.

What about the 756 Pro 2?  Does the built in rtty display work if the radio
is in SSB mode?  That may be another issue.  I think on the 1000Mrk 5, the
little rtty tuning indicator only works if the radio is in RTTY mode, and
you cant fee audio into the mic jack if its in that mode, its expecting the
on/off cycling of the rtty jack in the rear.

Charlie
KI5XP

Jim Smith wrote:

It seems to me that the cognoscenti prefer FSK to AFSK.  I have never
seen any reasons for this preference, probably because I haven't looked
in the right place.  So, what's the problem with just sending AFSK to
the radio, thereby eliminating the need for an AFSK to FSK converter?