[WriteLog] What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled

George Johnson w1zt at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 17:28:31 EST 2004

Time to weigh in with a "minority opinion":

For all the reasons previously described, I would like everyone else to use
FSK.  I don't want to hear spurs.  And I don't worry about your loss of
high pitch hearing as long as you tune in my signal properly and print it
accurately before you call.

I use AFSK with autotune.  I get to use low tones centered on my adjustable
narrow receive filters. With auto tuning I catch you quickly at the end of
you CQ... (you do put CQ at the end of your call sequence), and I call you
on your frequency.  My autotune decoding adjusts my receive and transmit
between your 165 Hz shifts and 205 Hz shifts accurately every time.  When
you call me off frequency I hear and decode you quickly in a pileup.  You
answer me quicker because I call you on frequency in your passband.

And I don't care if your DX spot is 2KHz off because I listen to the
station before I call him.

I believe that the same care and knowledge in setting up and tuning an FSK
transmitting station properly requires skill similar to setting up, tuning
and operating an AFSK station.  Most of the rest is just personal preference.

My 0.02 worth,
73, George .. W1ZT