[WriteLog] What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled

Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) frugoli at worldlinkisp.com
Mon Mar 1 21:10:58 EST 2004

> However, one WriteLog-related reason for needing AFSK for RTTY is if you
> don't have a second serial port. I'm just about to build an interface
> for the vacation radio, which runs with an old laptop that has only one
> serial port... so it looks like I'll be having to use AFSK, like it or
> not.
>
> Wayne, is there any way to sneak an FSK line out on the parallel port?
> (I know it's not ideal, but at least it's another option.)

Ditto,

For running SO2R, I've been forced to go to AFSK.  I don't have an extra serial port available, let alone two.  And I hate to dig into the contest computer that's working and mess with the pandoras box of IRQ's just to do FSK.  Too bad the MultiKeyer doesn't do FSK.  Or if the FSK can be put on the parallel port, could it be switched to send on either rig depending on the transmit focus?  This would certianly end some headaches for me!

73 de Al, KE1FO