[WriteLog] What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery unraveled

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Mon Mar 1 19:40:49 EST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:27:28 -0500, Mike wrote:

>What was wrong in
>all cases is that I had gotten use to having the Net capability of MMTTY
>with AFSK at the home QTH.  At K4JA the xmit. freq. was off enough for the
>targeted station being able to copy others better.  This was noticed the
>most with 500 Hz filters.

The underlying problem with your operation is you are using a filter
which is too wide.  500 Hz is twice what is needed for RTTY.  So to you
it would seem that both AFC and NET are quite handy - you tune a station
barely on one side of your bandpass and AFC and NET both jump over to
the other side.  I guess that's convenient, but it's also QRM city.

Far better to use 250 Hz bandwidth so when a station is tuned in, he
occupies the FULL bandwidth, and neither AFC nor NET is needed at all.

To each his own, I suppose.

--
73, Bill W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW