[WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest

Fidel Leon ea3gip at ea3gip.net
Tue Mar 9 23:16:45 EST 2004

At 04:19 09/03/2004, Bill Turner wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:10:48 +0100, Fidel Leon wrote:
>
> >Another one... Has anyone noted his/her WRITELOG.INI and WLOGKEY.INI being
> >created in "Documents and Settings\user\WINDOWS" instead of %WINDIR%...?
>
>My writelog.ini file has always been in C:\windows.  How did yours get
>somewhere else?

Sincerelly.... I don't have a single clue! Mine was there too!

I recently reinstalled my operating system, so I installed Writelog and,
after the installation, copied a backup of WRITELOG.INI in my \WINDOWS
directory.

I started WL, and went to the Ports setup, since the WRITELOG.INI copy I
had was a little outdated, and the radio was in another serial port, but I
found a COM port from the old computer (a CommSlot2=6), which was
unexistent. I exited WL, modified WRITELOG.INI erasing the CommSlot2=6, and
restarted WL.

What a surprise when I already found COM6 in Ports! I checked everything
else for half an hour! Some parameters, as the W5XD/K5DJ multikeyer port,
were changed correctly, so looked like the configuration was written
anywhere else.

Looking for more WRITELOG.INI files in the hard disk, I found one in
Documents and Settings\user_name\WINDOWS with a current modification date.
It was a perfect copy from my original WRITELOG.INI but for the parameters
I changed from Ports. The CommSlot2=6 was there, and when removed, COM6 was
no longer in Ports.

OS is Windows 2003 Server.

73,

Fidel Leon - EA3GIP