[WriteLog] WL 10.45m and ARRL DX SSB Contest

Eric Rosenberg wd3q at starpower.net
Thu Mar 11 21:55:53 EST 2004

At 12:39 PM 3/11/2004 -0500, Eric Scace  K3NA wrote:

>    I can comment on a few of Eric's items, and hope others will have
> additional suggestions.
>
>- Split window:  There is no way to change the pop-up window location
>at present.  It's only intended to be a temporary pop-up to
>accept the data and go away.  It doesn't track the second VFO.

It's the location that bothers me. I'd like to put it just above the
QSO window, which I put at the bottom of the screen. I can move it once
it's up, but can't have it come up in the desired position.

>- Second VFO freq:  One workaround is to open a second bandmap on the
>second VFO.  Use the menu entry Window/Bandmap on 2nd VFO to
>turn this bandmap on.  While this doesn't show the exact frequency, it
>gives you an idea of where you are -- which is more than you
>have today.

I'm looking for something like the N1MM SO2V (single op-two VFOs) mode,
or some indication that I'm in the split mode.  More below...

>- Revert to simplex when tuning away:  People have different
>expectations for this.  I actually don't want the revert back to
>simplex!  99% of the time I am operating split on 75m or 40m.  That
>means if the radio reverts to simplex, I will be transmitting
>out of band.

I think I missed spoke on this one. It's not an issue when I stay in a
band, it's when I cahange bands. I'm a signficantly little pistol and,
in some contests (e.g. ARRL DX) a semi rare mult. I often move from
band-to-band on per-station basis, so that's where I get burned.

>    Nevertheless, you can get what you want by using two INI file
> instructions.  Here is the data from the 10.45 Help file.  These
>entries go in the [ENTRY] section of the INI file (for radio 1) or
>[ENTRY2} for radio #2.

Not sure I understand, but there's time to figure this out!

>   "Distance radio must tune in order to say its is "tuning" the band.
> Set this to zero and WriteLog will not clear the Entry window
>when the radio is tuned.
>
>AutoClearOnTuneMinHz=200
>
>    "If you tune closer than AutoFillFromBandmapHz to a bandmap
> station, the Entry window will be auto-filled from his frequency. Set
>this to zero and WriteLog will not auto fill. AutoClearOnTuneMinHz set
>to zero will disable AutoFillFromBandmap as well.
>
>AutoFillFromBandmapHz=400

Don't think these were my issues. I actually thought this was a cool
feature.  I didn't use packet, instead putting stations I heard but
didn't/couldn't work into the bandmap.

>   "With AutoSetToSplitFromBandMap set nonzero, WriteLog will set the
> rig to the split frequency in the bandmap as you tune across
>it. AutoFillFromBandmapHz must be non-zero for this to function.
>AutoSetToSplitFromBandMap=0

Same as above, but good to know.

>   "TuningDetectionCount is the number of consecutive polls of the rig
> that must be tuning to decide the operator really is tuning.
>
>TuningDetectionCount=3

Thanks!

>-- F12:  This return is intended to function when you grab a
>spot.  After you have worked (or attempted and given up working) the
>spot, hit F12 to return to the previous frequency.  I don't believe it
>is currently designed as a "roll me back to my previous
>frequency" after you've typed in a new one to go off to a sked.
>
>    One workaround is to save your current frequency using the store &
> recall buttons in the S&P memories window.  The window can be
>opened from the Window menu.

Thanks. This confused me.

>-- Bandmap resizing:  This is not very dynamic.  The INI file entry
>"PixelsPerKhz=16" sets the number of vertical pixels for 1 kHz
>on the map.  I change mine for different modes, and use a compromise
>setting in a multi-mode contest such as IARU or the upcoming
>RDXC.

Oh well...

>-- HOME:  Try creating a keyboard shortcut for HOME.  The command you
>want is "EntryGetsFocus".

It worked everywhere exceptthose times when my curosr was in the
bandmap window.

>-- The schedule window does undock.  I think it's a little fussier
>than some of the others, but you can find a hot spot on the edge
>that gives you the little rectangle icon for undocking the
>window.  The window works all the time; i.e., you can create a sked,
>close it, and it will pop open 5 minutes before the next chronological
>sked.  I don't understand why this is not working for you.

Thanks... will try.

>   BTW, the schedule window is the tool to use to pass stations around
> in a multi-op environment.  Click on "S" and it auto-fills in
>the call.  Add the frequency and you're done; the sked window will
>start flashing on the screen of the appropriate operator(s).
>This is similar to the Alt-D Pass function of CT.  For those who are
>CT-literate, you can create a keyboard shortcut for Alt-D the
>invokes the command "EntryMakeASked" to cause the schedule setting
>function to pop-up immediately.  (I only learned this trick
>recently myself.)

I used it when folks would ask me to be somewhere at a specific time.

>   -- Eric K3NA

Thank you Eric.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC