[WriteLog] Delay in changing entry window focus

Kurszewski Chad-WCK005 Chad.Kurszewski at motorola.com
Mon May 17 13:46:10 EDT 2004

> I'm using 10.47E on a 2.6ghz celeron with 768 meg ram, 2
> iogear usb/serial interfaces one for the multikeyer/kenwood
> rig and the 2nd for a kenwood rig, and a tnc on com 1.
>
> When setup for SO2R (2 entry windows) and I press an up/down
> arrow to change the focus, there is about a 1 second delay
> before the cursor/focus/switching in multikeyer happens.
>
> What's going on here?
>
> This did not happen on a similar setup on an older machine
> running win 98 (233mhz with 32 meg ram).  2 com ports, one to
> multikeyer, one direct to kenwowod.

It's the USB-Serial converter.  I don't remember the exact
reason, but they don't communicate nearly as fast as a
real serial port.  The multikeyer doesn't use the actual
serial communications lines, but rather the handshaking
signal lines.  For some reason, most (maybe not all)
USB-serial converters use the same chipset, and they are
very slow (or require many retries from WL) for the
hardware control signals.

If you have a real serial port open, use that for the
Multikeyer, and put something else on the USB-serial
converter.

Chad WE9V