[WriteLog] RE: Trimming Audio Files & Spacers

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Wed Nov 17 13:29:43 EST 2004

K6VVA Said:
 >> Having put off far too long the install & testing of an outboard
 >> Vox-triggered audio card device,

Bob, N5NJ inquired:
 > What is the purpose for this?  What type of device is it?

To get audio from the notebook computer to the rig via the Accessory port
on the back of my TS-870S and TS-480S rigs.  It is a Signa-Link Model SL-1+
(very small, portable).

It turns out my notebook sound card is a bit noisy which has been part of
the problem ;-(

Also, that the internal jumper settings in the unit are *different* for
each rig (I hate it when that happens as an "unwanted" surprise).  So
hopefully the 2nd one I just ordered gets here in time.

After a lengthy discussion with tech support, we managed to get things a
bit better, but my audio level is now pretty hot and may not be able to fix
it in time (something about inserting a resistor in place of a jumper and I
am *not* a techie).

I spent hours trying to find out why the TXRX would stay in XMIT *after*
the .wav file stopped playing, and if anyone else has a similar problem,
the solution required changing COMM PTT in the WL setup to "NO".

The small ms delay in VOX activation which can not be adjusted is
unfortunate, 'cuz otherwise the SL-1+ is a pretty slick little unit.

73...

Rick, K6VVA