[WriteLog] Re: RITTYRite Crashes

Don Hatlestad dhatlestad at mail.com
Fri Oct 1 01:05:13 EDT 2004

RE: RITTYRite in WriteLog 10.49 crashes

My sound card does not work with the WriteLog 10.49 version of RITTYRite unless I use MMTTY. It worked fine before I upgraded.

Symptoms:

When I select a TU type of Sound Board, Rittyrite pops up a window that says "Failed to initialize sound board software." When I close it, I get a protection fault error (crash).

Another symptom is that the CW Recieve window will not start the sound card.

Troubleshooting steps:

I ran MMTY (stand alone) and it works. I tried MMTY as the TU and it worked. However, I would like stuff to work as advertised.

I removed WL using uninstall and deleted writelog.ini and then re-installed. No change.

I followed the instructions for "If WriteLog chooses the wrong Line In input" in the help file. My offset is 5. No change. I tried all of the line offsets one by one from 6 down to 0. No change.

I tried recording using the recording loop and I was able to create an audio file with no problem.

I confirmed in the control panel that the Sound Blaster card was working. I know that it works because I have had it connected to the radio for some time and listen through the computer line out to my RIGblaster box and other sound software ie MMTY works. I tried using the sound card voice keyer and that sends sound over the air just fine.

I tried uninstalling every bit of WL, disabling virus protection and firewall and everything else that was safe to disable and then re-installing. No joy.

System information:

Dell Latitude C600 laptop with a Sound Blaster PCI [Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373)(WDM)] card in an expansion bay with the laptop's built in sound card disabled. OS is Windows XP SP2 (worked fine with my previous version of WL). Windows has set the card at IRQ 9 and I/O 0xFC40-0xFC7F. The device manager also says that the driver version is 5.2.3633.0. (The Windows update site does not find an updated driver.) The driver file name is es1371mp.sys. Unlike old versions of Windows and DOS for that matter, I cannot set the IRQ and I/O address range. I also tried this on a Dell GX150 which has a different sound card and got exactly the same result.

The critical parts of WriteLog works FB and I am willing to put up with the glitch and wait for luck or an upgrade to fix the problem. I would follow the 'downgrade to my last full installation and upgrade to 10.48' path if the missing functionality were all that important to me. I would like 10.49 to work for me, though.

Don - AC7FA