[WriteLog] IC PW1 interface

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Thu Oct 7 23:30:18 EDT 2004

Gary Senesac AL9A said:
> Just got a new "toy" yesterday, an IC-PW1 amplifier, that I am trying
> to get interfaced to the rig and the PC.  The manual says all CI-V
> addresses should be the same, as should the baud rates.  The default
> CI-V address of the IC-756Pro is 5Ch, but the default of the PW1
> amplifier is 54H.  Changing the default address on the PW1 to 5Ch
> requires adjusting an internal switch, that looks like a trim pot,
> with a screwdriver.  However, in its inifinite wisdom, Icom neglected
> to put any instrucions in the manual that indicates what setting on
> the pot is needed for a specific address.>

Gosh Gary, I think you're making this way too difficult.  I have my
PROII addy set to 05H like your PRO, and 9600 baud.  It is plugged
into a CT-17, and the PW-1 is also plugged into the CT-17.  The CT-17,
of course, is plugged into a serial port on the computer.

WriteLog is set to my rig and 9600 baud.

It all works just swell.  It doesn't make sense to me that the CI-V
addresses would be the same.  If that were true, WriteLog would be
trying to read the PW-1 and the rig at the same time!  (The CT-17 is
just a parallel interface - Unique addresses are why the CT-17 can
interface up to 4 rigs.)

I'd leave that pot and that file alone and just start over from
scratch.  It's a very simple setup - You don't need to change any
addresses.

Good luck, and let us know as you progress.  73 - John, WA9ALS