[WriteLog] Cut numbers

M. Edward Wilborne III wilborne at mew3.com
Thu Oct 28 16:45:35 EDT 2004

Well someone replied to me saying that using "A" for "1" which is evidently
a standard shortcut (as seen below) is probably a bad idea...:

http://www.qsl.net/w3df/cwabbrev.html

I think they're all bad ideas...

Imagine my surprise after starting contesting for the very first time and
after 4 or 5 contests finally learning that T was zero?

Quite frustrating.  No where in any of the "contesting rules" did it say
"cut numbers" may be used for serial numbers, or signal reports.  I suspect
if it did, it should also define what they are.

CW shortcuts are fine for people who've been doing it all their life, but it
is discouraging to newcomers when they can't make heads or tales out of the
serial number they just received for example, 15T3.  You send a "?" and get
back 15T3 again.  I guess I should read that "contesting for dummies"
website/book.  ;)

On the other hand, if you get an "A" from me in your serial number, or other
numeric exchange, assume its a "1" (see the link above).

73 - Ed - AD4AX